Letting the CRA Know You Don’t Agree With Them

Objection Letting the CRA Know You Don’t Agree With Them
Some people like to get their taxes done early which is a good thing because it is over and done with.   Then it is usually forgotten about until you get your tax assessment in the mail. Chances are you look it over quickly, but really this is important information and you should scrutinize it carefully.   It could be that the CRA did not agree with your tax return and this could be reflected on your assessment.


It could be that you can see where you made errors concerning your taxes and you agree with the assessment, but on the other hand you may not agree.   In this case you can file a Notice of Objection with the CRA.   It may be you don’t agree with the amount or perhaps there are penalties and interests that you don’t feel are fair or applicable.


You now need to make yourself familiar with your appeal rights.   There are deadlines which you must adhere to when filing an objection. Always check the most recent regulations regarding the rules for appealing.   If it turns out that you have missed your window of opportunity for filing you can ask for an extension of time to file your objection, but this must be done within one year of the deadline date you have for the filing.   So make sure you keep the envelope that the assessment that you are appealing came in.   Even though you are applying for an extension to file your notice of appeal, it doesn’t always mean it will be granted.


It is really important that you explain in detail the reasons for your objection and you can use the CRA tax form T400A for this, but you don’t have to.   Attach copies of any pertinent documentation that is going to support your case.


The CRA is broken down into departments that deal with specific tax matters.   Your Notice Of Objection will go to a division within the CRA, or persons delegated within the tax department to handle notices of objections.


If you feel that you have grounds for a notice of objection, you could talk to a tax accountant about the matter who could then advise you as to whether this is the proper steps for you to take.    It could be that the CRA is right in their assessment and that you just don’t understand the process they used to reach their conclusions. Your Toronto professional tax accountant will be able to determine this.


Share Your Thoughts!


Sam Seidman, CPA, CA, LPA
629 Sheppard Avenue West
Toronto, Ontario
M3H 2S3

Telephone: (416) 398-1700
Fax: (416) 398-6226

Chartered Professional Accountant, Chartered Accountant, Licensed Public Accountant


Contact Sam today

The information provided here and throughout the site of TorontoAccountant.CA is intended for general tax information only, and should not be misconstrued as a legal source of information regarding your tax situation, or be used for any other purposes other than for general information.
Sam Seidman, Chartered Accountant - Copyright ©2013. All Rights Reserved.