Carrying charges and interest tax costs should be paid to claim tax deduction
Year End Tax Planning
Its a good time now to ensure that you have actually paid the following types of expenses before December 31, 2012 in order to claim a tax deduction on your return.
- Fees paid to manage your investments.
- Safety deposit box fees.
- Interest on money borrowed for investment purposes to earn interest or dividends.
- Legal fees paid relating to support payments you will receive including spousal and child support.
Some additional points to note:
- Fees paid to manage RRSP’s are not deductible nor can a payer claim legal fees paid to establish, negotiate or contest the amount of support payments.
- Spousal Support under court orders or written agreements are deductible only if they were paid. You cannot claim legal fees you paid to get a separation or divorce or to establish custody of or visitation arrangements for a child.